Friday, May 7, 2010

Speak for Yourself!

I apologize in advance to all of you good-natured, even-tempered, understanding individuals that have the unique ability to see past my anger and know it's not intended to offend you. To all the other self-serving, condescending, impatient, uninspired, boring, close-minded fools...this is meant to offend.

I've been reading a lot around the internet about "pre-expansion doldrums". It seems to be coming from people who are fairly long-time raiders or even people who have been playing World of Warcraft for many years now. Evidently there is a time before each expansion where activity is less, people get bored, prices of goods are volitile, and bloggers start commenting on how everyone is just experiencing the same pre-xpac doldrums.

SPEAK FOR YOURSELF!

Literally! You are not me! I have been playing for shortly over a year, and raiding for far less. I can't seem to get lucky with any loot drops for the past few months and my gear still sucks (realtively speaking). I don't have the T10-4pc set yet...I've only got 1 freakin' piece. I've got guildies of the same class that seem far luckier than I and who have passed me in gear by a long margin just because I've been so freakin' unlucky.

I haven't even done all of ulduar, I haven't ever finished ToC 25 normal. Gosh, there is so much I haven't done yet because I am still a new raider it's disgusting. I am SOOOOO SORRRY you're bored out of your mind. That's so terrible that you are a Kingslayer and stand around Dalaran for 2 hours doing nothing but hoping people will stare at your new title and tell you how awesome you are. (By the way, I really am happy for Larisa, I don't put you into the group I just mentioned. There actually were people sittin in front of the bank in Dalaran last night for two hours showing off their Kingslayer titles. Anyone got self-esteem issues? Good gracious!)

The absolute selfishness of anyone making a blanketing, general statement that EVERYONE is bored is mind boggling. If you, as an individual, are burned out and make it clear that it's just you and not EVERYONE, I appreciate the distinction. But let's get something straight, if you are going to make that statment, make it clear that it's you...speak for yourslef, not for me!

I'm still excited to play when I get home from work. I still get excited to research a new character or a new spec that I want to try out. I'm still excited because I'm only half way through ICC with my casual raiding guild, and have virtually no gear to show for it...which pisses me off to no end.

Heck yeah I'm excited for Cataclysm, but I've still got so much more to do and to learn and to experience and very little time to do it in. So if you don't mind, please don't ever project your opinion on me, I speak for myself and I expect you to do the same.

4 comments:

Analogue said...

That's... exactly and precisely correct. And further, to hear hard core raiders complain about how content is "dumbed down" or "OMG EZ mode" is annoying. I didn't play WoW when Naxx40 was current. I wasn't raiding at all until after Ulduar came out, for pete's sake; I enjoy downing Marrowgar and count any pug raid where we get past Saurfang as a success.

I'm just lucky that my main raiding partner is my husband and so we're on the same page. We both want to LK down, one of these days, but if it takes a few more months to get him? Great! That should keep us busy til things get interesting around old world...

Gronthe said...

Nice to hear others out there that are still having fun and are not close to being bored with the content yet. I actually think there are more than I intimate, so I guess we can all continue to get together and do as much as possible before Cataclysm.

I want to down the LK too, but at the pace of my guild it might not happen for a while and that's ok with me.

I think that there will be opportunities over the next few months. During a recession there are some who find opportunities and profit from it, I think that maybe those of us that are not on an elite pace may find it easier to find like-minded players the closer we get to Cataclysm...that will be a great benefit in and of itself. I just think that many good things can and will still happen and I'm gonna be having fun until the world explodes! Thanks for your visit, always appreciated.

LarĂ­sa said...

I'm honestly starting to get really fed up with the oh-I-am-bored-whining. This might be a good time to stop reading that many blogs as an act of self preservance, if you want to remain enthusiastic about YOUR game experience.

About the loot: I know a lot of people think that DKP is an overkill and nothing for the casual players, but to be honest, it really saves a lot of headaches, goes every so quick and will protect you against the worst sides of RNG. It might be worth it even for a 10 man guild.

Good luck with your future progress in ICC!

Gronthe said...

@ Larisa: One of the things that I can say about myself is that because I recognize my own reactions to things that I can often see where my overreactions are and can correct my mindset.

This, above so many other things, helps me remain enthusiastic about my game experience. I appreciate the tip, I may cut down on the number of blogs I read, we shall see.

And loot...I admit that I fluctuate too often on this subject to establish a definitive attitude. I may well need to employ my supposed super power of "forgetting about it and moving on" to get over much of the bad luck that I seem to have at times. My guild absolutely refused to employ anything other than RNG.

All in all, I just want to have fun, no matter how other people feel. I play my game, not anyone else's. No doubt I'll find ways to have fun no matter what...or at least my kids will make me find a way. :) Thanks for your visit!